The Building Department offers a dynamic and rigorous internship program for students interested in gaining professional experience in local government and public service.
The program goal is to provide students or recently graduated individuals with practical work experience to complement their academic studies. This internship program offers a fast-paced professional environment with a focus on multitasking and public service experience while exposing participants to the diverse functions and operations of a municipal government.
Volunteer and networking opportunities will also be made available to interns. Internships are unpaid, but students are encouraged to pursue academic credit for the internship if it is permitted by their college or university.
General responsibilities include:
- Managing the reception of calls and visitors to the department
- Interacting with constituents and provide information regarding government services
- Supporting staff and management with overall office operations
- Creating databases and information systems
- Assisting in outreach and community engagement
Interns may be involved in:
- Program design
- Public relations
Requirements & Expectations
Students must attend or be a recent graduate of a fully accredited college or university. Internships are open to undergraduate or graduate students, or recent graduates. Schedules are relatively flexible within normal business hours to meet the needs and demands of student schedules, with a minimum commitment of 16 hours per week, typically for three months and no longer than six months.
- Exceptional writing skills as demonstrated by a cover letter. A cover letter is required to apply
- Experience in the Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- General knowledge of managing social media for government or business
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills
- General knowledge of government structures
- Experience in customer service preferred
Degree Programs / Areas of Study
This internship is open to all majors.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required. Email cover letter and resume to Noelle Broucker. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls, please.