So much has been said lately about the advantages and disadvantages of alternative heating sources such as kerosene heaters and wood stoves that the Canton Fire Prevention Bureau would like to remind you of safety procedures to insure that your standard home heating system is properly maintained.
Tips for Proper Maintenance
- Have a professional check and service your heating system every fall. They will look for possible worn out parts, frayed wiring, and blocked heating ducts.
- Keep flammable material away from heat vents. Teach children not to touch these vents as some vents can become very warm while the heating system is in use.
- Electric space heaters should be used only under adult supervision.
- When purchasing an electric space heater, look for a seal from a nationally recognized testing agency, such as Underwriters Laboratory (UL).
- Make sure that the electric cord is in good condition, not frayed.
- Regular household extension cords should not be used with an electric heater. The heaters draw too much electricity and will overload the cord.
- Never put a portable electric heater in a child's bedroom. In an attempt to get warm quickly, they may pull the heater too close to the bed, which could ignite the blankets on the bed.