In order to prepare future Law Enforcement Officers and to encourage participation from our local youth community, the Canton Police Department has established a program known as "Youth Corps" in association with the Boy Scouts of America's Explorer Program. This program involves volunteer civilians as well as Canton Police Officers who are dedicated to preparing young people for the occupation of Law Enforcement. Duties vary greatly and responsibility is high.
What You Will Do
As a Youth Corps member you will learn and be involved in a variety of Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice activities. Some of these activities will include the Hall of Fame Festival, Atwood Fall Festival, and assisting with many of the various downtown events, celebrations, and fireworks including the Safe Kids Identification Program. (S.K.I.P.) Most of these events take place in the late spring, summer, and fall months. These events sometimes require long hours.
- You must be 14 to 20 years of age (and have completed the 8th grade).
- You must have good standing in the community and place of employment (if applicable).
- Three references must be provided (not relatives).
- A criminal background investigation is required.
- Must participate in an interview with the police and civilian advisors.
Apply for the Youth Corps Program
Fill out the Youth Corps Application (PDF) and return to:
Canton Police Department
C/O Youth Corps Police Advisor
221 3rd Street SW
Canton, OH 44702