The Uniform Division is charged with the responsibility to:
- Preserve the public peace
- Maintain law and order
- Protect life and property
- Prevent crime
- Arrest and prosecute offenders
- Remove, cause to be removed or safeguarded, all nuisances or obstructions in public streets or highways
- Provide proper police attendance at fire scenes and public gatherings
- Assist and advise strangers
- Carefully observe and inspect all places of public amusement, and all places of business requiring licenses to operate
- Repress and restrain all unlawful and disorderly conduct and practices
- Render first aid and assistance to persons who may be ill or injured
- Report unsanitary conditions, fire hazards, defective pavements, dangerous buildings, construction work being performed without proper permits
- All other matters or situations which are detrimental to public safety, health, and convenience of the public or to the interest of the City
- Transport and humanely care for all prisoners in custody
- Maintaining criminal complaints or violations of laws and ordinances as required, such as:
- Maintain necessary files and to furnish such reports, statistics, records, or assistance required or requested by a member of any other Police Division or Bureau, or authorized governmental departments of this or other cities, counties, states or nations as directed by the Chief of Police.
Learn about the Traffic Bureau.
The Canton Police Department Canine (K-9) Unit has proven to be a great asset to the Law Enforcement community of the greater Canton community.
Auxiliary Police are civic-minded individuals who volunteer to assist the Canton Police Department by providing services to the community in those areas that do not require the attention of a regular officer.
In order to prepare future Law Enforcement Officers and to encourage participation from our local youth community, the Canton Police Department has established a program known as “Canton Public Safety Explorer Program” in association with the Boy Scouts of America’s Explorer Program.